News tagged ‘firmware 3.0’
Redsn0w is a cross-platform jailbreaking, unlocking, and customizing tool for iPhone and iPod Touch. New version redsn0w 0.9b3 supports the latest firmware 3.1.2. The most recent release before this one was redsn0w 0.8, which targeted Apple firmware 3.0/3.0.1.
redsn0w 0.9 beta3 supports:
- All iPhones and iPod touches except the iPod touch 3G
- Windows and Mac OSX (x86)
- Apple firmwares 3.0-3.1.2
When it's out of beta, it will support the iPod touch 3G, PPC OSX, and Linux.
If you need a carrier unlock, redsn0w will handle iPhone 2G by itself (by installing the BootNeuter utility). For the iPhone 3G and iPhone 3GS use Cydia after you're jailbroken to install ultrasn0w (baseband 04.26) or blacksn0w (baseband 05.11).
If you have a late-model iPhone 3GS, or if you have an iPod touch 2G whose serial number begins with “MC” (newer than week 40 of last year), you can use redsn0w to jailbreak but you are currently restricted to “tethered” rebooting. That means you need to connect your device to a computer each time you boot it - so just try no to reboot.
You can download redsn0w 0.9b3 here.
NASA, the government agency responsible for the space program of the United States of America, has just released its first application for iPhone. Through a simple interface this app allows us to know about all the missions planned.
- NASA Missions
- Mission Orbit Tracker
- NASA Twitter Feeds/Mission Updates
Users can monitor the current position of the International Space Station and other spacecrafts around the Earth. App is compatible with iPhone and iPod Touch, requires firmware 3.0 or later and is localized in English.
DropBox is a service that offers 2GB of free web space to store your documents, pictures, videos, music and more. Using the iPhone application you can access this information and view all files. If you have not tried the service, I recommend you to do so.
Geohot published new photo, where we can see the file called "ipt3_jailbroken". This means that he was able to unlock the iPod Touch 3G and run the Jailbreak. He said that this the same exploit works with in iPhone 3GS firmware 3.0 and 3.1 native.
It looks like we will see his new tool with classic buttons to run the Jailbreak in 10 seconds quite soon.
Good news for anyone who wanted to test the application Dropbox but was stopped by the firmware compatibility. A new version compatible with 3.0 will be released soon. It has already been sent to Apple and will be available in a few days. We will keep you informed.
DevTeam released PwnageTool 3.1. This utility will allow users of iPhone 2G, iPhone 3G, iPod Touch to run jailbreaked firmware 3.1. We still recommend staying on firmware 3.0/3.0.1 for as long as possible. The 3.1 firmware is not worth it. But if you really want 3.1. Here are the details:
- If you are using a 3G iPhone with ultrasn0w and rely on ultrasn0w to obtain cellular service, then you should only upgrade to 3.1 with a PwnageTool created .ipsw. Never update using Apple's unmodified firmware. Stay away from Apple’s direct updates.
- This version of PwnageTool WILL NOT work for the iPhone 3GS and iPod Touch 2G/3G.
- PwnageTool WILL work for Original iPhone (1st Generation), Original iPod touch (1st Generation) and the iPhone 3G.
- It works only with Mac OS X.
- Future releases of PwnageTool and RedSn0w will be soon with more functionality.
Here is per device info:
iPhone 3G (unlocked): This model of iPhone 3G doesn’t have an Service Provider lock (aka factory unlocked) and you are able to put any SIM card into the phone and get service. Your phone is already unlocked so you do not need to worry about baseband updates, simply upgrade to 3.1 using iTunes and then use PwnageTool to create an ipsw and then use this to jailbreak your phone.
iPhone 3G (locked): You need to preserve 3.0 baseband. Create a custom firmware.
iPhone 2G (1st Generation): Use PwnageTool to do the magic and then restore with iTunes using your newly created .ipsw, you don’t need to worry about anything, the baseband will be unlocked, the phone jailbroken.
iPod touch 1G (Original iPod Touch): Use PwnageTool to create a firmware image and restore with that .ipsw using iTunes.
iPod touch 2G: Sorry, no support at this time within PwnageTool, use Redsn0w for an earlier (pre 3.1) firmware release instead.
iPod touch 3G (New iPod Touch): Sorry, no support at this time within PwnageTool.
You can download PwnageTool 3.1 in our utilities page.
A bug was found in firmware 3.0 that allows you to view hidden passwords. Here's the video demonstration:
- Download both firmware 3.0 and firmware 3.0.1 (link).
- Download redsn0w 0.8 (link).
- Update or restore to official 3.0.1 in iTunes.
- Run redsn0w.
- When redsn0w asks you to identify the IPSW used, point it at the 3.0 IPSW instead of the 3.0.1 one.
- Follow the instructions.
- After the jailbreak, reinstall ultrasn0w 0.9 if you need the unlock.
The iPod controls apper with double-tap of the Home button. In Settings we can decide whether to activate or not the tweak. iPodPop is compatible with firmware 3.0 and is available via Cydia (BigBoss repository).
Geohot, the creator of purplera1n, has just released his own iPhone 3GS software unlock and named it purplesn0w. Who is purplesn0w for? If you own a jailbroken iPhone 3GS running firmware 3.0 and you want to unlock it to use it with another carrier (T-Mobile only in the USA), then purplesn0w is for you. Are you experiencing wifi/battery/other unlocking problems after using ultrasn0w? Then I highly recommend you try purplesn0w. Geohot says that it’s the best unlock out there.
purplesn0w doesn't run any deamon (resident app) on the iPhone, it just patches three files: CommCenter, lockdownd, and wildcard. You need an activated device in order to use purplesn0w, this is a minus.
Here is how to install purplesn0w:
- Make sure you have an activated iPhone 3GS. If you have T-Mobile make sure you disable 3G in the settings.
- Open Cydia, and add http://apt.geohot.com to your sources
- Install the com.geohot.purplesn0w package
- Watch for the success output in Cydia
- Reboot your iPhone 3GS
Once you have followed the steps above, your iPhone 3GS should be unlocked.
Update: Geohot has also posted technical details of purplesn0w
Mail Progress is a new mod for iPhone. It will allow you to change the color of the bar indicating the sending of an email message. The application works through WinterBoard and offers the following color changes: Yellow, Sky Blue, Red, Purple, Orange, Green, Cool Grey, Black.
Avaliable in Cydia, repo: repo666.ultrasn0w.com
Here are quick instructions:
- Ensure you have firmware 3.0
- Jailbreak your iPhone using redsn0w (this will also install Cydia)
- Run Cydia
- Please add the repo repo666.ultrasn0w.com to Cydia. That last “o” is actually the number zero “0”! If you use the letter “o” you’ll get an error.
- Search for ‘ultrasn0w’ in cydia or icy and install ultrasn0w
- Reboot your iPhone 3G
- T-Mobile USA users should disable 3G before using ultrasn0w
- If you have any problems reset your network settings (it helped many users): Settings->General->Reset->Reset Network Settings
- iPhone 2G - jailbreak and unlock
- iPhone 3G - jailbreak, use ultrasn0w for unlock
- iPod Touch - jailbreak
- iPod Touch 2G - jailbreak
- iPod Touch 3GS - jailbreak, use ultrasn0w (version 0.8 and higher) for unlock
You should use it instead of purplera1n tool to jailbreak and activate iPhones and iPods.