News tagged ‘update’
Warning - Tethering your iPhone is against the iPhone data plan terms. AT&T could slap you with huge fees if you overuse this. I recommend only using it during emergencies.
Here is a basic plan (by the way, this should work for old IPhone also):
- Jailbreak your iPhone 3G
- Install 3Proxy and Terminal
- Create an ad-hoc Wi-fi network using your laptop
- Join the network with your iPhone
- Find the iPhone's IP address
- Open Terminal and run the proxy program
- Open Safari on your iPhone and open a web page
- Configure your browser to use the proxy
Later we'll discuss it with more details.
Step 1: Jailbreak your iPhone
Here are the updates:
- JocStrap - Java/Objective-C connection library, version 1.0.2466-17 (was 1.0.2466-15),
- IPhone/Java - examples of Java applications, version 1.0.2474-15 (was 1.0.2357-14)
- Cydia Installer, version 1.0.2473-64 (was 1.0.2460-59)
Not a huge update, but still.
Just in case you don't have Cydia and Java installed on your IPhone, follow these instructions: Tutorial: install Java on the IPhone.
Yesterday there was a release of PWNage 2.0. Now version 2.0.1 is avaliable.
Here is the list of bugfixes:
- It auto-finds the bl39 and bl46 files better, if they’re on your computer
- It creates the ~/Library/iTunes/Device Support/ folder if not present, which should help with some 1600 errors people have been having.
- Many people have reported the PwnageTool not starting up at all (the icon never stops bouncing). This issue should be resolved now.
- The Sparkle AppCast URL is fixed in this version, so automatic updates should work for future releases.
Because of the AppCast URL fix, we recommend that everyone who downloaded PwnageTool 2.0 get this version, if they want to stay up to date automatically.
If PwnageTool 2.0 pwned your phone correctly the first time, you do not need to pwn again with 2.0.1.
If you choose to download it from other mirrors, you may want to verify that the SHA1 of the file is 10b6c7dc22286e7b70c3d5a92cda7d117426fda9.
Now older IPhone users users can upgrade to firmware 2.0 and IPhone 3G users have a possibility to have jailbreaked IPhones. That is because PwnageTool 2.0 is released today. Download links are:
Just a reminder: this tool jailbreaks and unlocks older iPhones, and jailbreaks iPhone 3Gs and iPod Touches. No unlock for Iphone 3G yet. The supported firmware is 2.0 only. Platform is Mac OS.
If you get Error 1600 from iTunes (or if you see in your log a failure to repare x12220000_4_Recovery.ipsw), try: mkdir “~/Library/iTunes/Device Support” ; if that directory already exists, remove any files in it. Then re-run PwnageTool.
Reminder: as of right now, there are no apps out for 2.0. Over the next few days some will come out. So do not update yet if you have some favorite 1.1.x apps you are using! 2.0 will not run 1.1.4 apps
UPDATE: version 2.0.1 is avaliable
"AT&T knows Wi-Fi is hot, and free Wi-Fi even hotter, which is why we are proud to offer iPhone customers free access to the nation's largest Wi-Fi hotspot network with more than 17,000 hotspots, including Starbucks. Now users can relax and access music, e-mail and web browsing services with their favorite blend in hand from the comfort of their favorite location."
AT&T provides an
This is about Wi-Fi spots in the US. AT&T has access (company-owned, branded and roaming) to over 70,000 Wi-Fi hotsport in 89 countries and 389 airports.
Unfortunately, everyone got too excited over nothing - the Wi-Fi is still not available, and the “document” was a mistake. Here is an email from one of their spokespeople:
- We have not made any announcement regarding free Wi-Fi and iPhone. The webpage was posted in error and is being removed. Wi-Fi is a real differentiator for AT&T and it is our intention to make it available to as many customers as possible, but we have no announcement at this time.
5. No voice dialing
There is do such feature. But.. There is an application called
4. No cut and paste
Indeed, not in IPhone or IPhone 3G for now. But, read this.
3. Can't use as a modem
That is a problem. No such feature. And there will be no such feature in the future.
2. No multimedia messaging
There is an application called
1. Locked up
Not only this. It is not possible to buy IPhone 3G without a contract. We'll wait for an unlock and sells without a contract.
Pinchmedia provided new report of prices for IPhone application in AppStore. The percentage of applications that are free is falling. However competition among paid applications is leading to price cuts - the most common price is $0.99. Almost 69% of paid applications are now $4.99 or less. $9.99 remains the second-most popular price. As of this morning, Pinch Media tracked 798 applications in the AppStore - 161 (20.2%) free, 637 (79.8%) paid.
Here are the results:
Compare them with the ones, that were presented a week ago just after the AppStore opening: IPhone application price.
These two libraries that are needed for Java on IPhone were updated recently. Downloads are avaliable through Cydia Installer.
Jocstrap is a bridge between Java and Objective-C. UICaboodle is a JocStrap extenstion for the IPhone. Both are needed to write Java applications for IPhone.
JamVM - Java Virtual Mashine for IPhone, has been updated. New version 1.5.1b2-17 is avaliable through Cydia Installer.
All possible information regarding Java for the Apple IPhone will be published here. News, updates, rumors and much more about Java and IPhone!