News tagged ‘3.1’
GeoHot has just released a new video which shows his new hack in action. It's called Blacksn0w and is able to unlock the new baseband 05.11.07 of the iPhone 3G and iPhone 3GS.
This new baseband appeared in firmware 3.1. So all users who own locked iPhone can unlock it and use with any cellular provider. Users who have upgraded to firmware 3.1 or 3.1.2 by mistake can also use blacksn0w.
BlackSn0w will be released November 4.
The famous iPhone hacker GeoHot started working on unlock of the new baseband 05.11.07 several days ago. Today he published the first results that can be defined as very positive.
So he managed to take control of the baseband, running the code written directly by himself. This measns that soon all users of locked OTB iPhones with firmware 3.1 and 3.1.2 will be able to unlock ther devices.
The new project is called blacksn0w.
Few hours ago GeoHot left a new message on Twitter - he officially started looking for an exploit in the new baseband 05.11.07.
All iPhone 3G/3GS owners with native firmware 3.1 or higher will be finally able to unlock the phone. This also applies to iPhone owners who updated to firmware 3.1 or 3.1.2 by mistake.
iPhone OS hacker, GeoHot, released Blackra1n RC2 today, an updated jailbreak utility for the iPhone 3GS and iPod Touch.
This version provides a tethering jailbreak for the new iPhone 3GS with the updated Bootrom. GeoHot lists these new features on his blog:
- Fixed 3G issues
- Tethered jailbreak for 3.1 OOTB ipt 8GB and new 3GS units
- Fixed Icy issues
- Both Windows and Mac
You can download BlackRa1n
iPhone application DropBox has just been updated and is now compatible with Firmware 3.0. So a lot more users can install it and enjoy its excellent features.
DropBox is a service that offers 2GB of free web space to store your documents, pictures, videos, music and more. Using the iPhone application you can access this information and view all files. If you have not tried the service, I recommend you to do so.
Here's a little guide that allows you to enable tethering on the iPhone 3G and iPhone 3GS with firmware 3.1.2. A hack that changes the CommCenter is used. It eliminates the need for a digital signature.
Here is a step-by-step tutorial:
1. First start Cydia and search for "iphone-notes". Install this repository and return to the tab "Search".
2. Now look for "tethering 3G - 3.1.2" or "tethering 3GS - 3.1.2" depending on the model of your device and install the package.
3. Restart the iPhone and then connect to the site www.unlockit.co.nz directly on the iPhone to create a custom APN. Create and install the profile.
After you restart you should see the field "Tethering" in the Settings.
With internet tethering enabled you can use iPhone internet connection on you desktop or notebook. Here is a quick tutorial for experienced users. For everybody else - just wait for the new version of PwnageTool or some other utility.
Here it is:
A bsdiff patch to apply to CommCenter in 3.1.2 to re-enable tethering is available
USE THIS AT YOUR OWN RISK! Your carrier may end up charging you for unauthorized tethering access.
Update #1 It looks like a lot of people have been looking at CommCenter lately because IRC user
CleanAir had a similar tethering patch. Meanwhile over in the 2G CommCenter,
Update #2 A few
DevTeam just released PwnageTool 3.1.4. It allows users to jailbreak firmware 3.1.2 on iPhone 2G/3G/3GS and iPod Touch 1G/2G. It also supports OTB iPhone 3GS with firmware 3.1.x. We remind you that if you need unlock, do not update on regular 3.1.x firmware, use Pwnagetool to create custom firmware to preserve old baseband.
Here is a quick howto:
- Factory Unlocked iPhone 3G and iPhone 3GS: You do not need unlock, just use PwnageTool to create an ipsw and then use this to update and jailbreak your phone.
- iPhone 3G and iPhone 3GS: if you need unlock, use PwnageTool to create a custom firmware with an old baseband. Then update using created custom firmware and install ultrasw0w via Cydia to unlock.
- iPhone 2G: Use PwnageTool to do the magic and then restore with iTunes using your newly created .ipsw.The baseband will be unlocked, the phone jailbroken.
- iPod Touch 1G: Use PwnageTool to create a firmware image and restore with that .ipsw using iTunes.
- iPod Touch 2G: You must already be jailbroken in order to use PwnageTool. If so, create a firmware image and restore with that .ipsw using iTunes.
- iPod Touch 3G: No support yet.
You can download PwnageTool 3.1.4 here.
There is only a MAC version of PwnageTool. DevTeam doesn't plan to create Windows version.
MuscleNerd, a member of the Dev-Team, has announced via twitter the release of the new version of PwnageTool.
The software will be able to create a custom firmware 3.1.2 to jailbreak and unlock iPhone 2G, iPhone 3G, iPhone 3GS, iPod Touch and iPod Touch 2G. As stated everything would be ready soon and the tests performed were positive.
MuscleNerd, the member of Dev-Team, created a nice post on twitter saying that ultrasn0w, the program that lets you unlock the iPhone 3G/3GS, functions just great with firmware 3.1.2. However you need to preserve baseband 04.26.08.
So the Dev-Team is working on new version of PwnageTool. Here is a screenshot that shows the new firmware and the old baseband:
GeoHot released blackra1n. blackra1n is a 30 second ALL device firmware 3.1.2 jailbreak. There is even supports for iPod Touch 3G jailbreak. For now there is only a version for Windows, but the Mac version should be released soon (UPDATE: Mac version is ready)
Download blackra1n utility
Warning iPhone 3G and iPhone 3GS unlockers, do not upgrade to firmware 3.1.2 using iTunes, if you want to keep your unlock. Baseband cannot be downgraded.
PS: Blackra1n doesn't hacktivate the device.
Apple has just released a new firmware version 3.1.2 for all the iPhones and iPod Touches. Weights around 300 MB. Here is the changelog:
This update contains bug fixes and improvements including the following:
- Resolves sporadic issues that may cause iPhone not to wake from sleep
- Resolves intermittent issue that may interrupt cellular network services until restart
- Fixes bug that could cause occasional crash during video streaming
Also, the iPhone OS 3.1.2 update for iPhone in U.S. is accompanied by an update to AT&T's carrier settings file, which brings the settings to version 5.6.
You can download firmware 3.1.2 here or via iTunes. We strongly recommend users who want jailbreak or unlock NOT to upgrade, just wait for new utilities.
Geohot registered a new site called blackra1n.com, where he will publish the universal firmware 3.1 OTB jailbreak utility.
Geohot published new photo, where we can see the file called "ipt3_jailbroken". This means that he was able to unlock the iPod Touch 3G and run the Jailbreak. He said that this the same exploit works with in iPhone 3GS firmware 3.0 and 3.1 native.
It looks like we will see his new tool with classic buttons to run the Jailbreak in 10 seconds quite soon.
Difrnt.com published a tool that might help in the downgrade of firmware 3.1 to 3.0 (or if you’re lucky 3.0.1) using
This tool is ONLY for 3Gs iPhones and is NOT a jailbreak method!
Download 3Gs Downgrade Assistant