Step-by-step Tutorial: How to Jailbreak and Unlock Your iPhone 3G Using RedSn0w 0.9.6b5 (Windows) [iOS 4.2.1]
UPDATE: Please think first, before you do something.
UPDATE 2: If you have 05.13 baseband or lower - do not update to 4.2.1, use PwnageTool to create custom firmware!
UPDATE: Please, consider reading our Jailbreak & Unlock FAQ, especially if you have questions or troubles.
This is step-by-step instructions on how to jailbreak and unlock your iPhone 3G on iOS 4.2.1 firmware using RedSn0w 0.9.6b5 for Windows.
For iPhone 3GS use this tutorial.
IMPORTANT FOR UNLOCKERS
During this process you can update your baseband to the 06.15 version. If you are on 05.14 or 05.15 or higher you will need to do this to unlock. You do not need to do this for jailbreak only. Please read the following very carefully before deciding whether to do this.
- There is no way to come back down from baseband 06.15, and there’s no hiding the baseband version from Apple. You’ll be voiding your warranty in a very obvious way.
- If some future baseband comes out with a critical fix, you won’t be able to update to it if it remains down in the 05.xx sequence (then again, you wouldn’t update to it if you wanted to keep your unlock anyway).
- Starting with FW 4.2.1 if you have 06.15 on your iPhone you won’t ever be able to restore to stock firmware (it will fail). You’ll need to only restore to custom IPSWs (then again, if you’re unlocker you should already be doing that).
Don’t update to 06.15 if you don’t need to, you can just jailbreak without unlocking using this tutorial! Only update baseband if you need the unlock and you’re stuck on baseband version 05.14 or 05.15, and you’re willing to assume the above risks. You can find out your baseband version in Settings -> General -> About -> Modem Firmware.
Create a folder on your desktop called Pwnage
Download RedSn0w from
Connect your iPhone to the computer and launch iTunes. Create a backup, since all your data on iPhone will be erased.
Once iTunes has finished updating your iPhone to the desired firmware open the Pwnage folder on your desktop and launch the redsn0w application from the redsn0w folder we extracted earlier.
On Windows Vista or Windows 7 right click the executable and set it to run as administrator in Windows XP compatibility mode.
RedSn0w will now prepare the jailbreak data
Verbose boot displays detailed information on boot of your device and is generally only needed by developers and advanced users.
Make sure Cydia is selected. For this tutorial we will also select Custom boot logo and Custom recovery logo.
When you click to select each custom logo option a dialog window will appear asking you to select the image. Locate the image you would like to use then press the Open button.
*Remember the rules for boot logos are: RGB or Grayscale format with Alpha channel and dimension below 320x480.
Notice that RedSn0w can Enable multitasking, Enable homescreen wallpaper, and Enable battery percentage. If you do not need multitasking we would recommend deselecting it as it makes your iPhone 3G run very slow.
If you read the warning above and you would like to update your baseband to the 06.15 iPad version for unlock then check Install iPad Baseband. Click Yes when prompted to confirm your decision.
Once this is complete you will be notified that RedSn0w is done. Click the Finish button. When your iPhone finishes rebooting (5 minutes or so) it will be jailbroken with Cydia on the SpringBoard.
When your iPhone has restarted you can run Cydia. Let it do all the necessary updates.
To have access to the root file system of your iPhone (via file managers like iFunBox or iPhone Explorer) install application called afc2add in Cydia.
If you need unlock – install ultrasn0w via Cydia:
- Open Cydia.
- Go to Manage than click Sources.
- Click Edit button in the top right corner.
- Then click Add button in the top left corner.
- Type http://repo666.ultrasn0w.com and click Add Source.
- Then click Done and press on newly created repository.
- Click on ultrasn0w and hit Install button in the top right.
- One installed, restart your iPhone.
- Disable 3G on T-Mobile USA.
- You're done! You should see the network.
Do not forget to change your default password if you've installed openssh.
Follow us on