News tagged ‘Google’
The main purpose is bug fixing. Many applications work faster. Here is the list of changes:
- Drag an app icon across multiple pages in one motion, rather than having to drag it, drop it, pick it up again and drag it over to next page, and repeat.
- Contacts are now more responsive.
- Backup is much faster.
- Apple may have changed the calibration of the iPhone's reception "bars" while connected to a 3G network to reflect a stronger signal than before.
- Keypad loads quicker.
- Screen rotation in Safari appears to be smoother.
- Some apps may ask to be updated after the firmware upgrade.
- SMS typing faster.
- Google Apps works faster.
- Netshare still works (for those who use it).
- Works with iPod.
- Multimedia content is kept after update.
- No Support from Pwnage and WinPwn. If you update you'll loose unlock and jailbreak.
IRCm is a GUI-based Internet Relay Chat client for the Apple iPhone, by Chris Lott (aka pogi) and Nicholas Penree (aka drudge). The app is pretty rough, but for the most part works as it did on 1.1.4.
It is the first and only GUI iRC client for iPhone 2.0. Note: this is ported from SVN 36 in googlecode.
Here are the news from Apple: "When the iPhone 3G goes on sale tomorrow, more than 500 native applications will be available on the revolutionary new App Store — including more than 125 free applications."
But the applications are already there!! Because in some parts of the world it is already July 11. And what is great, there are many free applications. For example, Remote, AIM, Google Mobile, NYTimes, Myspace Mobile.
Users can download applications directly from new IPhones or through iTunes.
The special version for IPhone was launched recently. This is a very nice online web client for poplular instant messanger Google Talk. The link is
Chat with your Google Talk contacts in real time. Send and receive instant messages in chat sessions with your contacts. Move easily between multiple open chats.
View and search for your Google Talk contacts. See the availability and status message of your contacts and change your own status on the go.
Go off the record if you don't want to store your chats. Off the record chats are not stored on Gmail.
There was an application called Apollo IM. It worked, but didn't work good - it hanged, dropeed connections, exited for no reason. Later there was MobileChat, which version 2.23-2 was much better than Apollo. It did work. It leasе I used it with ICQ many times. However it didn't have history and there were some problems with offline cyrillic messages.
Now there is
This is a tutorial, that shows step by step how to use installed Java on the IPhone. Just in case you do not have Java installed on your IPhone there is a
Step 1: Create simple Java application, compile and run.
- How to Port phoneME™ Advanced Software to Google Android, iPhone, OpenMoko, LiMO, and MoreHinkmond Wong (Sun Microsystems)
May 07, 14:50 - 15:50
- Dancing Duke on Your PlayStation Portable: Porting phoneME™ Software to PlayStation Portable Max Mu (Sun Microsystems); Kuo Wang (iaSolution Technology Limited)
May 08,19:30 - 20:20
- Extending Swing to Run Multitouch Applications (Multitouch Software)Michael Riecken (Trissential, LLC)
May 09,16:10 - 17:10
The objective of the phoneME project is to further expand the usage of Java™ Platform, Micro Edition (Java ME platform) technology in the mobile handset market. The goal in making these technologies available to the Mobile & Embedded Community is to reduce implementation variation, increase the rate of innovation and enable new devices to leverage the power of the Java ME platform.
Session Title: "How to Port phoneME™ Advanced Software to Google Android, iPhone, OpenMoko, LiMO, and More".
Session Abstract: "This presentation discusses how to port phoneME™ Advanced open source mobile platform software to the latest hot cell phone and embedded device environments such as Google-OHA, Android SDK, iPhone/iPod (touch) SDK, OpenMoko, and LiMO.
The objective of the phoneME project is to further expand the use of the Java™ Platform, Micro Edition (Java ME platform) in the mobile handset market through open source. The project scope includes a focus on the emerging next-generation phone segment with the phoneME Advanced software stack. This session concentrates on how to use the open-source phoneME Advanced project as the core Java virtual machine and libraries to enable the most-recent popular mobile development platforms to become Java technology-enabled. "
Make sure to attend this event and this sesson in particular. Hinkmond Wong is an expert from Sun Microsystems, who can answer many questions about IPhone, Java and more.