Usbfever announced iPhone 3G
This update is a small bugfix:
- New algorithm to toggle EDGE without resetting the Comm Center. This makes the EDGE toggle nice and fast.
- Fixed a bug on adding icons to the dock. Some would crash such as Settings icon. This only occurred when the plist was binary.
The main purpose is bug fixing. Many applications work faster. Here is the list of changes:
- Drag an app icon across multiple pages in one motion, rather than having to drag it, drop it, pick it up again and drag it over to next page, and repeat.
- Contacts are now more responsive.
- Backup is much faster.
- Apple may have changed the calibration of the iPhone's reception "bars" while connected to a 3G network to reflect a stronger signal than before.
- Keypad loads quicker.
- Screen rotation in Safari appears to be smoother.
- Some apps may ask to be updated after the firmware upgrade.
- SMS typing faster.
- Google Apps works faster.
- Netshare still works (for those who use it).
- Works with iPod.
- Multimedia content is kept after update.
- No Support from Pwnage and WinPwn. If you update you'll loose unlock and jailbreak.
It is called EccoNote. iTunes link is
Foxconn, the Taiwanese electronics giant that produces the iPhone 3G for Apple, has ramped up production to 800,000 units per week, says a source close to Apple with direct knowledge of the numbers.
Apple sold just 6 million of its first generation iPhones. Foxconn factories will be able to ramp production up significantly over time, says our source. But at current sell rates, the company is producing iPhones at a run rate of over 40 million units per year, well beyond early estimates of demand for the product of 25 million over the 3G product lifecycle.
Net Applications published some web statistics. The number of iPhones according to it grows rapidly.
iPhone has 0,19% and is the most popular smartphone in this list. In June this number was 0,16%. Here is the charts and some other numbers:
WebSearch is a very handy app that saves lots of time especially on slow networks.
Consider normal use of the web on say EDGE. You pull up a web page, you have to wait for it to load. You then get to the search page, wait for it to load, type in your search, wait for it to load. With websearch, you program in search criteria (based on firefox’s “add a keyword search”) and then you just click the search for the site, type the search string, and wait only one time for the search page to loa with results.
IRCm is a GUI-based Internet Relay Chat client for the Apple iPhone, by Chris Lott (aka pogi) and Nicholas Penree (aka drudge). The app is pretty rough, but for the most part works as it did on 1.1.4.
It is the first and only GUI iRC client for iPhone 2.0. Note: this is ported from SVN 36 in googlecode.
Winterboard for firmware 2.0 provides some of the functionality that SummerBoard provided. However it looks like it will be much much more in the near future. Currently the settings dialog just allows you to select your theme, but you can expect this to be expanded in the future. (Note: the configuration GUI is not done yet).
At the release of Winterboard, many themes were also released into Cydia. All of our Summerboard themes are now available for use.
Winterboard does more than SummerBoard. It will theme many more elements of your UI. You can theme the battery images and other graphics. There is support for theming inside of .artwork files. It will open the door for themes to become full iPhone themes changing the color of your alerts, graphics in apps, and all sorts of amazing things!
BossPrefs is updated today to v2.0.6b for firmware 2.0 only. This version adds some new features for hiding icons. This paves the way for Categories which BossPrefs developer plans to implement soon. Here are the formal changes:
- Added missing file needed to detect running state of custom services.
- Redid hidden icons GUI.
- Added ability to hide appstore apps now.
- Redid how icons are hidden. 2.0’s restrictions mechanism is used now to hide icons. This means that hidden icons no longer show up again on an upgrade of a package. The downside is, if you ever disable restrictions in the settings menu, (or enable it then disable it) all your icons will be visible again and you will have to hide them again. Note you should update poof (if you installed this) also. The two apps must be in sync if both used or hidden icons from one may not be able to be unhidden from the other.
Today, Cydia got a nice face-lift and some nice new features. When you enter the “manage” page you will be given choices between mananging your packages and managing your sources. Manageing sources does not mean that you can add old installer sources. You still must have a valid apt source for Cydia.
It is now possible to edit which packages you do and do not want to see. Cydia comes up and asks you for your preferences at start to ask you which “role” you play:
- If you are a user and you do not want to see all the console applications, select “user”. “User” is similar to the level that most installer users are familiar with since installer did not contain a lot of development / hacking packages.
- Hacker displays the GUI apps as well as command line apps used in SSH or terminal.
- “Developer” will filter out nothing, showing you everything. Many “users” may find some of these packages annoying. This is why you now have a choice!
You can later change this selection by going into “manage” and clicking on “settings”.
In addition, you can filter on “sections” (these are Categories in Installer). You can just tap the “edit” button on top of the “sections” page. If you tap that you will see this screen that lets you enable / disable various sections. Very cool, indeed.
The easy way to connect to IPhone is thriugh SSH. But this method works when you have wifi. Now there is an application that allows to connect thriugh SSH without wifi, regular usb cable is used instead.
Step 1. Install OpenSSH on iPhone
Step 2. Download and install
Step 3. Download and install
Step 4. Run Tunnel Suite and select iPhone Tunnel, than select WinSCP or Putty. If you use Putty put 127.0.0.1 for Host Name.
WinPwn 2.5 will be released soon. The developer posted a screenshot of the new version's look:
This is a game. Prepare to win! Just choose who do you want to play, Bill Gates or Steve Jobs: