Reportedly Foxconn And Pegatron Begin Assembly Of iPad 3 For Early-March Launch

Japanese blog Macotakara reports that Apple’s contract manufacturers Pegatron Technology and Foxconn Electronics was commisioned to begin assembly of next iPads for a launch in early March.

The report, citing unnamed Chinese sources, notes that iPad 3 will be almost identical to the current model with the same form of the dock connector, position of two cameras and the same configuration of hardware buttons. Even the Smart Cover can be used with iPad 3, althouth tipsters said that magnets will be in a “different position”. However, some form fitting cases will not work, as the device is a little thicker, probably to house added parts. This description is very close to iLounge story based on hands-on experience with the next-generation iPad of its editor Jeremy Horwitz who said the new model is focused on internal modifications rather than on redesign of chassis.

Also Macotakara notes that Sharp will supply panels for iPad 3, probably with 2048-by-1536 pixel resolution. This corroborates earlier reports from Wall Street Journal and DigiTimes.

The Macotakara said that Pegatron will be responsible for as much as 85% of iPad production, while Foxconn will account for the remaining 15% of output. This division contradicts DigiTimes report that claimed that Apple is changing its outsourcing strategy with iPad 3. According to the publication’s sources from supply chain, Apple wants Pegatron to principally focus on production of iPad and run iPhone operation as an auxiliary while the strategy for Foxconn is vice versa.

As Macotakara said, electronic components leaked out of Far East could be replacement parts for iPad 3. Some of them are shown in Macotakara’s video clip above.

Follow us on Twitter:     

| |


Leave a comment

Leave a Reply

You can login with iPhoneRoot account here.