News tagged ‘bug’
Thesoftware is pretty good. We like the App Store a lot; it adds a boatload of new functionality to the iPhone. But it's certainly not perfect. Having used it for a few weeks, we've discovered a number of little quirks that we really hope are addressed in the upcoming update. From bugs to missing features, here are ten things that would make the iPhone a much more attractive device.
1. Make it Less Crashy
The iPhone with 2.0 software feels a little… buggy. It'll randomly crash or slow down to the point of unusability until you restart every few days with normal use. That's not right; this is a cellphone. It shouldn't feel like an unstable computer.
Just a week after the first iPhone 2.1 beta seed, Apple has released another 2.1 firmware release to developers. The new version appears to include several bug fixes.
"This is the second beta of the iPhone SDK targeting iPhone OS 2.1, including bug fixes to iPhone OS as well as an early implementation of the Apple Push Notification Service API. This API is not yet integrated with a live push server."
"New WinPwn is being developed which will be a lot easier to use and should help a lot of people having issues."
New version 18.104.22.168 of
22.214.171.124 fixes the Ipwner crash problem and 16xx errors. It will also fix the iPod ipswBuilder failure bug.
- Support for WinXP and Vista 32/64bit. Note Windows 2003/2008 server (Yes SERVER) are not supported neither is Windows 95 or Windows 3.11
- You MUST do a full uninstall of winpwn before installing the new version
- Make sure you have the latest version of iTunes ( Currently 7.7)
- WinPwn uses 300MB of ram at peak due to the ipsw being extracted in memory
- You must first click browse and load an IPSW to use WinPwn (i thought this was clear)
- For 2.0 only the *5A347_Restore.ipsw files are valid. The 345 image will not work
- If you see Failed to load image catalog/payload catalog, this is fine and won't cause problems
- If you already have service with AT&T do not activate or install Youtube Fix
- Cydia/XP/Writing root FS bug.
- Failed to remove ipsw directory after a ipswBuild failure.
- iPwner now only accepts custom ipsws.
- Remove 345 ipsw support. WinPwn only supports 347 2.0 ipsw's.
- Various other fixes.
Apple is already providing developers with a new iPhone firmware beta with enhanced location-finding that could lead to true navigation as well as the roots for background push services.
The one of new features is update to core Location - it can now recognize the cardinal direction of an iPhone with GPS as well as its velocity, both of which are ingredients necessary to providing turn-by-turn directions. The additions confirm statements recently by Apple's Greg Joswiak, who rejected earlier claims that iPhone 3G's GPS antenna wasn't powerful enough to handle navigation and in turn explained that "complicated issues" are holding the device back from serving as a true navigation unit.
Apple is also implementing a rough version of its background push notification service in the 2.1 firmware. Announced at the Worldwide Developers Conference, the feature lets third-party native programs receive data such as alerts or new messages without actively running. The measure saves processing power without interrupting some apps that depend on constant access to the Internet.
The inclusion of this early version of the code alludes to the 2.1 update becoming public at the same time as the push notification service itself, which is tentatively due for September. In the meantime, Apple and its US partner AT&T are known to be testing iPhone 2.0.1, a maintenance release that likely fixes some of the outstanding bugs with the initial 2.0 release.
Yesterday there was a
Here is the list of bugfixes:
- It auto-finds the bl39 and bl46 files better, if they’re on your computer
- It creates the ~/Library/iTunes/Device Support/ folder if not present, which should help with some 1600 errors people have been having.
- Many people have reported the PwnageTool not starting up at all (the icon never stops bouncing). This issue should be resolved now.
- The Sparkle AppCast URL is fixed in this version, so automatic updates should work for future releases.
Because of the AppCast URL fix, we recommend that everyone who downloaded PwnageTool 2.0 get this version, if they want to stay up to date automatically.
If PwnageTool 2.0 pwned your phone correctly the first time, you do not need to pwn again with 2.0.1.
If you choose to download it from other mirrors, you may want to verify that the SHA1 of the file is 10b6c7dc22286e7b70c3d5a92cda7d117426fda9.
There was an application called Apollo IM. It worked, but didn't work good - it hanged, dropeed connections, exited for no reason. Later there was MobileChat, which version 2.23-2 was much better than Apollo. It did work. It leasе I used it with ICQ many times. However it didn't have history and there were some problems with offline cyrillic messages.
Now there is
There are two ways to enable Java applications run on the IPhone. The first one is to port Java to IPhone, and this is preferrable The second way is to create automatic Java to IPhone porting solution for individual applications.
A company called
alcheMo technology is basically J2ME to C++ translator and the run-time library. It converts Java application to C++ application, which can be compiled, run and debugged. Using native run-time libraries the native executable is created. The alcheMo run-time library provides equivalent functionality to those associated with J2ME, including support for automatic garbage collection, multi-threading and extensive subsets of CLDC 1.1 and MIDP 2.0, and extension JSRs.
There are several examples of porting games to BREW platform. Hopefully there will be some for the IPhone in the near future. For now alcheMo is in beta state, potential developers are invited to join.
By the way, alcheMo for iPhone supports the accelerometer, the touch screen and other unique iPhone features, through standard MIDP 2.0 API, JSR-256, and, where necessary, extension APIs. If J2ME application uses such APIs, it will automatically and immediately be accelerometer or touch screen capable on iPhone.