News tagged ‘Chat’
Macrumors found interesting information in the latest Beta 3 iPad SDK. Apple's private framework which controls the camera, has 3 additional camera characteristics that are not found in the iPhone 3.x SDK:
It looks like Apple built in API support to test if your iPad had a Front Facing Camera, Zoom and a Camera Flash. The front facing camera could be used for video chat, while Zoom and Camera Flash are often requested features for the iPhone's back camera.
9to5Mac made further investigation and found the following icons which clearly show an interface to accept or decline a video chat:
The size of these buttons show that they will be used on the the iPad's screen rather than the iPhone.
It is still unknown, if these new features will be available in the first version of iPad. We hope to see them in future versions of the iPad, iPhone and iPod Touch.
These icons on the picture below were found by 9to5Mac in the 3.2 SDK. They seem to be a definitive evidence of video calling capability in future generations of Apple devices.
Searching for more evidence the source explored the code and also found a more direct mention of video chat in the telephony UI code:
And here is a reference to something called iChat:
So it is almost obvious Apple will bring video calling to their devices. But what will happen with 3G networks if millions of new iPhone users will start to make videocalls instead of common calls?
Meebo has recently released the iPhone version of popular service for stress-free and enjoyable chat. It has a number of advantages that differ it from other chat apps available. It is easy to handle and you are kept in touch with your contacts even when Meebo is switched off. It also provides the conventional chat history and the directions provide quick understanding of the manipulation process. And what is more important - it is free of charge.
You can download Meebo app
This time we talk about Algoriddin’s djay 3, new apps from Frog Design, 4iThumbs product and WebIS Pocket Informant organizer.
Algoriddin’s djay 3 is an excellent app with easy-to-use interface designed to allow you to mix and play music. The price is US 50$ in stores and on the website.
MacWorld Expo 2010 started on the Feb, 11. We'll show you how that day and the MWSF generally started.
Google today announced the launch of its Nexus One smartphone. It is based on the Android 2.1 operating system and offers 800x480 screen, 5 megapixel camera with flash, Qualcomm's 1 GHz Snapdragon processor. The Nexus One offers 512 MB of Flash and 512 MB of RAM, and ships with a 4 GB Micro SD card with support for cards up to 32 GB.
Nexus One is initially available from the Google web store in the US without service for $529 or starting at $179 with a two-year contract from T-Mobile USA. In the near future, Verizon Wireless in the US and Vodafone in Europe plan to offer similar service plans.
Here is the full list of hardware and software features:
With internet tethering enabled you can use iPhone internet connection on you desktop or notebook. Here is a quick tutorial for experienced users. For everybody else - just wait for the new version of PwnageTool or some other utility.
Here it is:
A bsdiff patch to apply to CommCenter in 3.1.2 to re-enable tethering is available
USE THIS AT YOUR OWN RISK! Your carrier may end up charging you for unauthorized tethering access.
Update #1 It looks like a lot of people have been looking at CommCenter lately because IRC user
CleanAir had a similar tethering patch. Meanwhile over in the 2G CommCenter,
Update #2 A few
Skype, the iPhone and iPod Touch application through which you can call and chat with your Skype contacts, has been updated to version 1.2. There are many updates and new features.
What's new in version 1.2:
- Set up call forwarding from your iPhone – forward Skype calls to a phone number when you're not signed in.
- Improved performance and better audio quality on Skype-to-Skype calls.
- Even easier to send text messages (SMS) - Send SMS from the Call tab.
- Calls are connected much faster.
- Status of your contacts is updated more often.
- You can now decide whether you want to stay online/offline when the iPhone is locked. We've added this into settings.
- Contact groups are now supported, making it easier to see who is online and separate your saved phone numbers.
- You can now edit the name of your saved phone numbers.
- Added support for skype: URL schemes in Safari.
- When creating a new account the country in your Skype profile is taken from the language used on your iPhone.
- Group chat profile pictures are now shown.
- You can now remove your profile picture.
- Added a 'Help' link to 'Forgot your password'.
- Improved support for proxy configurations.
If you have done jailbreak, don't worry. During first launch Skype will pop up a message showing that it works only on unmodified iPhones and iPods. But it is not true. It works just fine.
New features in 3.0:
- Landscape mode
- See your upcoming Events and RSVP
- See your friends' birthdays
- See Pages and post updates and photos to Pages you administer
- Write Notes and read your friends' Notes
- Upload videos from an iPhone 3GS
- Upload photos to any album
- Complete photo management (create albums, delete albums, delete photos, delete photo tags)
- Change your Profile Picture
- Zoom into photos
- Like posts and photos
- See the same News Feed as the Facebook website
- Visit links in a built-in web browser
- See all of your friends' friends and Pages
- See mutual friends
- Easily search for people and Pages
- Make friend requests
- Become a fan of Pages
- Quickly call or text your friends
- Create shortcuts to your favorite friends and Pages
- Friends sorted by first or last name according to your settings
- Chat friends sorted alphabeticaly
So there are many new features. Here is a good video review from CNet:
Yesterday Facebook upodated to version 3.0.1 (minor bugfixes). It is avaliable for free in AppStore (
Apple has explored the ability to transfer a file from one cell phone to another during a connected call, according to a new patent filing revealed this week.
the new filing includes descriptions for sending text messages, e-mails, contacts, documents and more to a caller while two phones have established a voice connection.
"While a user of a mobile device is using telephony services, the user may want to send a message or a file to another part. To send this information, the user may have to disconnect the call, and then perform a lookup of the caller's contact information prior to being able to send the message or file. This multi-step process can be tedious for the user."
With this new method, you won't need to disconnect to send a file or some text data. Patent states that data could possibly be sent over a variety of network options, including GSM, GPRS, Edge, Wi-Fi, WiMax and Bluetooth.
Quantum Collapse is one of the best games RTS (Real Time Strategy) games for iPhone and iPod Touch. The game was released less than a month ago and has already been updated to version 1.1. Regular price is $3.99, but it is on sal enow for $0.99 (AppStore
- 13 Campaign missions providing more than 8 hours of gameplay
- 11 Skirmish missions with 3 different AI Types.
- Amazing Particle Effects and Explosions
- 2 Completely different factions with unique designs and powers
- Voxel generated terrain (no repetitive tilemaps)
- Map Zoom.
- Each unit has a unique powerup. Some super units have up to 6 of them.
- Spell system enables you to take a huge part in the battle.
In next version developers will implement multiplayer with voice-chat. Note for iPhone 3GS users: the game has graphical glitches on the iPhone 3GS. Developers found the solution and the fix is on it's way.
Here is a demo video:
Skype, the application for iPhone and iPod Touch through which you can call and chat for free with your Skype contacts, has been updated to version 1.1. This is an update adds some small improvements and bug fixes.
What's new in version 1.1
- Support for the following languages: English, German, Dutch, Brazilian Portuguese, Portuguese, Spanish, Norwegian, Russian, Traditional Chinese, Simplified Chinese, Italian, French, Polish and Japanese.
- Send text (SMS) messages using Skype credit.
- Voicemail support.
- Improved dialing help when calling phones.
Skype is avaliable in AppStore for free (
Here is the iPhone Magnet, a new concept of Adam Hutchinson for the next model of iPhone. Available in two colors, it will have a front camera with support for iChat and Interactive Home button that will change color to give the notification:
This is a new concept for the next iPhone model called iPhone video. It has very few differences in appearance (which makes it one of the most plausible concept that we have ever seen). The main feature is the front camera with support for iChat Video. The designers from Macpredictions have also assumed the interface of iChat Video:
Burbank, Calif., March 2nd, 2009 – Warner Bros. Digital Distribution today announced Watchmen: Justice is Coming, an online multiplayer game for the iPhone and iPod Touch based on the upcoming film Watchmen, from Warner Bros. By using its patent-pending CloudMMO technology running on Amazon's Cloud, Last Legion were able to create a persistent world for the iPhone in the Watchmen universe. Players can roam the city streets, chat with total strangers, battle with people on the other side of the country, and ride the subway to another part of the city to continue their crusade against crime, all in real-time.