News tagged ‘sed’
Apple has updated the BootROM for the iPhone 3GS to iBoot-359.32. This software upgrade is reportedly not vulnerable to an exploit hackers previously used.
MuscleNerd, a member of the iPhone Dev Team, noted this is the first time ever that Apple has done a BootROM update in the middle of a product line, without a new hardware model. The Dev Team is a group of hackers who release tools used to exploit the iPhone OS. With the new iBoot hackers will not be able to use "24kpwn" exploit.
This means that anyone who will buy an iPhone 3GS these days, will not be able to jailbreak and unlock it, probably for a very long time.
Pinch Media has shared some data they presented at 360iDev on the state of app piracy on the iPhone, and there are a few key take-aways:
- These analytics show roughly 4 million jailbreak devices, 38% of which are using pirated app(s) (aka cracked apps).
- Piracy is highest in China, Russia, and Brazil, with Europe and Canada being the mid-ground, and the USA, Great Britain, and Japan having the lowest rates.
- Of paid apps that use Pinch Media’s services, 60% have been pirated.
- Of those pirated apps, 34% of all installs are the pirated version.
- Like legitimate app downloads, pirated apps are used a lot at first, but drop off quickly (more quickly than legitimate app usage, in fact).
- Pirated apps on jailbroken iPhones crash more, which may be why they’re used less.
- Those who claim to use pirated apps as a way to “try before they buy” are full of it. While 7.4% of legitimate “Lite” app downloads up-convert to the paid version, only 0.43% of pirated apps lead to purchase of the legitimate paid version.
You can read the
DevTeam just released PwnageTool 3.1.4. It allows users to jailbreak firmware 3.1.2 on iPhone 2G/3G/3GS and iPod Touch 1G/2G. It also supports OTB iPhone 3GS with firmware 3.1.x. We remind you that if you need unlock, do not update on regular 3.1.x firmware, use Pwnagetool to create custom firmware to preserve old baseband.
Here is a quick howto:
- Factory Unlocked iPhone 3G and iPhone 3GS: You do not need unlock, just use PwnageTool to create an ipsw and then use this to update and jailbreak your phone.
- iPhone 3G and iPhone 3GS: if you need unlock, use PwnageTool to create a custom firmware with an old baseband. Then update using created custom firmware and install ultrasw0w via Cydia to unlock.
- iPhone 2G: Use PwnageTool to do the magic and then restore with iTunes using your newly created .ipsw.The baseband will be unlocked, the phone jailbroken.
- iPod Touch 1G: Use PwnageTool to create a firmware image and restore with that .ipsw using iTunes.
- iPod Touch 2G: You must already be jailbroken in order to use PwnageTool. If so, create a firmware image and restore with that .ipsw using iTunes.
- iPod Touch 3G: No support yet.
You can download PwnageTool 3.1.4 here.
There is only a MAC version of PwnageTool. DevTeam doesn't plan to create Windows version.
iDriver is an iPhone application to remote control a car, created by the Freie Universität Berlin and powered by Appirion UG. The car is called "Spirit of Berlin", it is a completely autonomous vehicle equipped with various sensors and a drive-by-wire system for unmanned driving.
GeoHot released blackra1n. blackra1n is a 30 second ALL device firmware 3.1.2 jailbreak. There is even supports for iPod Touch 3G jailbreak. For now there is only a version for Windows, but the Mac version should be released soon (UPDATE: Mac version is ready)
Download blackra1n utility
Warning iPhone 3G and iPhone 3GS unlockers, do not upgrade to firmware 3.1.2 using iTunes, if you want to keep your unlock. Baseband cannot be downgraded.
PS: Blackra1n doesn't hacktivate the device.
Apple has just released a new firmware version 3.1.2 for all the iPhones and iPod Touches. Weights around 300 MB. Here is the changelog:
This update contains bug fixes and improvements including the following:
- Resolves sporadic issues that may cause iPhone not to wake from sleep
- Resolves intermittent issue that may interrupt cellular network services until restart
- Fixes bug that could cause occasional crash during video streaming
Also, the iPhone OS 3.1.2 update for iPhone in U.S. is accompanied by an update to AT&T's carrier settings file, which brings the settings to version 5.6.
You can download firmware 3.1.2 here or via iTunes. We strongly recommend users who want jailbreak or unlock NOT to upgrade, just wait for new utilities.
Glyph, the founder of the Twisted project has accepted a job offer from Apple and posted some pictures of its impressive packaging.
When the real, physical offer letter and associated paperwork arrived, I was highly amused to see that it has the same graceful design, fit and finish that they devote to many of their products. So I thought it deserved the same sort of review that their other products might get.
The lack of anything but the logo on the outside of the envelope is understated. It simply says: "You know who we are. You know what this is."
Dropbox is a very useful and popular application. It has already received 75,000 downloads. However it requires firmware 3.1 due to the usage of some API's for video upload and download.
Good news for anyone who wanted to test the application Dropbox but was stopped by the firmware compatibility. A new version compatible with 3.0 will be released soon. It has already been sent to Apple and will be available in a few days. We will keep you informed.
The DevTeam has just released Pwnage Tool 3.1-3, the new version of the tool for Mac OS that lets you run the jailbreak on iPhones and iPod Touch with firmware 3.1. The new version adds limited support for iPhone 3GS and iPod Touch 2G. It still works with iPhone 2G (EDGE), iPhone 3G and iPod Touch 1G.
The iPhone 3GS is now supported in PwnageTool 3.1.3, assuming the phone was pwned at 3.0 or 3.0.1 - PwnageTool does not support the 3GS out of the box. If your iPhone 3GS has 3.1 preinstalled and is not Pwned then there is no tested jailbreak solution at the moment.
The iPod 2G is now supported in PwnageTool 3.1.3, assuming the iPod 2G was pwned at 3.0 or 3.0.1 - PwnageTool does not support the iPod 2G with 3.1 software out of the box.
You can download in Pwnage Tool 3.1-3 here.
Otakulous manages a library of sexy manga images of great quality. New images are added to the library daily, and once downloaded they can be browsed offline. Images are displayed full screen and all have a resolution of 320 × 480 pixels, so that you can use them as wallpaper.
Otakulous is avaliable for $1.99 via AppStore (
It looks like Google and Apple have been steadily moving from friends to enemies. Google created Android and CloudOS, Apple rejected Google Voice and Google Latitude, Google’s CEO left Apple.
So Back in July Apple stealthily acquired Placebase, a mapping company that provides a service similar to Google Maps, but with more robust customizations and set of APIs, called Pushpin.
The obvious interest Apple would have in the company would be the mapping content and expertise that they are currently relying on Google for in their iPhone maps application. Placebase, however, also offered additional functionality that is not currently available in Google's offerings that Apple could theoretically take advantage of.
Given that Apple wrote the iPhone Maps app themselves, and just used Google for the backend, a switch to Apple Maps might even be transparent to the end user.
Placebase CEO Jaron Waldman LinkedIn profile now listed his position as part of the "Geo Team" at Apple.
What is the coolest brand? Austin Martin or iPhone?
Apple has taken three of the top five places in this year’s CoolBrands list, with the iPhone at top of the poll, Apple itself in third place and the iPod securing fourth place in the list. This list was led by Aston Martin for the last three years.
BlackBerry improved, made it to 7th place, while the BBC’s iPlayer was the only new entry to take a top 20 slot. Google’s YouTube was recognised as the number one online brand.
Here is the full list:
Apple today announced that its App Store has surpassed two billion downloads. The company also noted that there are now over 50 million iPhone and iPod touch customers, 85,000 applications on the App Store, and 125,000 registered iPhone developers. App Store is available in 77 countries. There are over 20 categories of applications to choose from.
Today MediaPhone announced ‘SmartScreen’ an application for the iPhone and iPod touch that will allow informational widgets to be placed and used on the lock screen. The widgets can be rearranged on the lock screen by using a ‘tap and hold to move’ action that is often used by to iPhone users (when moving icons around the home screen).
It will be avaliable soon in Cydia Store (for money).
Griffin has produced a new accessory for the iPhone is capable of transmitting the FM signal. It's called iTrip.
This is one of the first cases of iPhone accessories controlled by an app. iTrip is used in conjunction with a free application called iTrip (AppStore
Operation is very simple: connect the Dock accessory, run the iTrip app, click on the "SmartScan" to automatically find the best frequency. Now we can play the music on our iPhone and transmit it to the car radio or home stereo without any problems.
The new iTrip is really well done and is compatible with almost all iPod / iPhone. Costs $50.