News tagged ‘Windows’
Along with iPhone there is support for BlackBerrys and Windows Mobile.
Here's a video:
Russian iphone user iWert was anle to run Windows 95 and even Windows XP on iPhone. He used Bochs (pronounced "box"), which is a portable x86 and x86-64 IBM PC compatible emulator (wikipedia
iPhone hardware is not made to run Windows on an emuator. So Windows 95 runs, but a bit slow. It takes 5 minutes to start.
Windows XP almost did it, but failed to start:
Here is a demo video:
Redsn0w, jailbreak tool from DevTeam, is updated to version 0.8. This is for firmware 3.0 and now it supports:
- iPhone 2G - jailbreak and unlock
- iPhone 3G - jailbreak, use ultrasn0w for unlock
- iPod Touch - jailbreak
- iPod Touch 2G - jailbreak
- iPod Touch 3GS - jailbreak, use ultrasn0w (version 0.8 and higher) for unlock
You should use it instead of purplera1n tool to jailbreak and activate iPhones and iPods.
Geohot released a beta software for iPhone 3GS jailbreak called PurpleRa1n. It is beta and has some issues, but it gets the job done if you’re patient.
The jailbreak is a bit incomplete. The kernel vm_mem patch is not present so Winterboard will not work as some other critical tweaks. (SBSettings does work!).
Use with caution and be patient. If you're not in a hurry, wait for the release from DevTeam.
RedSn0w is an easy to use, multi-platform, multi-device jailbreaking and unlocking (iPhone 2G only) tool from DevTeam. It supports firmware 3.0 and iPhone 2G (original iPhone), the iPhone 3G (but not the 3GS) and also the iPod touch (first and second generation):
New iPhone is widely expected to be announced at WWDC 2009. But what name will Apple give to this new device?
- iPhone 4G would assume 4G LTE wireless networks, which haven’t even begun to be rolled out yet, so last year’s scheme is out.
- iPhone 3.5/3.9G is likewise a non-starter. HSPA+ is not for Apple.
- iPhone 32GB is spoken all over internet. This name is more about memory, than a phone. It forces Apple to do actually 32GB models, etc. This too seems unlikely.
- iPhone Pro fits with Mac Pro and MacBook Pro (and even Final Cut Pro). This name is cool, but kind of already used and abused by Palm Treo Pro, HTC Touch Pro, and a variety of other stylus-wielding Windows Phones.
- iPhone, sans descriptor is always a possibility. After all, it’s not iMac X, Y, or Z, it’s just iMac. Whether internal documents say iPhone 2,1 or iPhone 3rd Generation, Apple could be ballsy enough at this point to just stick with the unadorned moniker.
- iPhone HD - high resolution screen, full HD support, 10Mp camera.. all this is just our dreams. Why not?
Any thoughts on names? Just leave comments.
AppStore and iTunes are great. But when we want other useful apps we jailbreak and run Cydia. Some use Installer, others prefer Icy. Here is a demonstration of new app to install 3-rd party apps called Kryptes:
YXFlash is a new application that is available in Cydia and includes the codecs to display Xvid / DivX video files . We will not longer need to convert movies into a format supported by Apple. The converted videos do play a bit smoother due to hardware acceleration, but xvid videos are watchable, at least the ones I tested. The player also plays flash content if you have downloaded flash flv videos to your device. It is not a web based flash player, this does not play flash videos embedded on websites. In order to add the videos just upload them using iFunBox or iPhone Browser.
Here is the complete list of formats supported by the complete version:
- Flash Video -> .flv
- Mpeg4, H.264
- Windows Media Video (.wmv)
- Xvid/DivX (.avi)
- MP4, MP3, AAC and Windows Media Audio
The free version offers support only for MP3 and DivX. You can download the application via Cydia in the BigBoss repository. The full version costs around $10.
Once again we have the ability to have ants running on our iPhone. This little toy was available on firmware 1.1.x. Now the developer has update the code to support firmware 2.x. If you don’t remember ants take a look at the video below. This toy is easy to use. As you might remember you open the app and activate the ants. Then open your notes and watch the ants fill the screen. You can smash them or shake your iPhone to remove them. Ants is available in Cydia for jailbreaked iPhones.
iUSB Tunnel is a simple gui that brings together ssh, tethering and vnc applications in one application. with iUSB Tunnel you can access your iPhone over usb on a Windows machine using ssh, tethering and vnc. Best of all its a lightweight program and portable so you can run it from a usb stick if you want. It comes loaded with WinSCP, Putty, Firefox Portable, iTunnel, TightVNC and UltraVNC so you don’t have to download those programs.
Apple released new firmware 3.0 beta4. It is only for developers' use and it requires iTunes 8.2.
Several developers report a pink screen error. When usiing iTunes 8.2 the screen should be pink for a few seconds and then the upgrade process will start. Others report that pink screen disappears after reboot.
- If Skype crashes when trying to input text: Disable both Clippy (Use SBSettings toggle) and any custom Winterboard sounds relating to the keyboard tick (tock.aiff).
- If Skype crashes within 1 minute of having the app open: Update app called mobile substrate in Cydia. Uninstalling mobile substrate also fixes the problem, but you will lose features such as winterboard and sbsettings.
UPDATE: Many users report that Skype works fine with the latest version of Clippy (0.98-2) without the need to turn the latter off.
Clippy is an iPhone addition for copy/paste functionality. It was updated to version 0.98. There are significant improvements that make the application much more stable, and moreover it is important to note that starting from now, Clippit becomes a completely free.
Changelog for 0.98: March 29, 2009:
The original Wolfenstein is now available for free for the jailbreak your phone to get in on the fun. The game is truly a classic. This is a first-person shooter in which we should govern our character among many doors and endless mazes. The controls are "fairly" good, based solely on the touch screen.. You need to
Wolf3D avaliable from Cydia, repository ZodTTD.
Here are some new rumors about future iPhone from AT&T staff:
- New iPhone announcement around mid-June
- New iPhone will be faster and have a more seamless experience unmatched by any device (could be just talking about 3.0, but we think it’s also a new iPhone)
- U-Verse iPhone application; will allow control of your home DVR (play, pause, rewind, etc.)
- AT&T is said to be working with Apple to create a unified product with an unparalleled experience across all their products and services.
- Apple’s 3.0 software should tell us where the iPhone platform is going… uh, k?
- They said customers shouldn’t need to choose from AT&T’s high-end devices because of features, they should choose based on preferences. The gap in capability should be filled with the new iPhone. Ok, bets on slide out QWERTY, autofocus camera, video sharing, blah blah?
- Seems like the higher speed HSDPA (7.2Mbps) is being hinted at too which should confirm the earlier rumors of the new Infineon chipset.
- The $99 3G netbook will start selling this summer, and the first one won’t be a Windows OS.