News tagged ‘Skype’
Apple's iPhone OS 4 event ended just few hours ago and now we finally have fresh information about the upcoming operational system.
So the main idea claimed by Jobs was that it has seven tent poles. Here they are:
German website touch-this.de has received new screenshots of the instant messenger app for iPad. It is a new version of iM+ that keeps you connected to Skype, Gtalk, ICQ, AIM/iChat, MSN Messenger, MySpace, Facebook and Jabber all-at-once. More pictures are under the cut.
Once Apple began allowing VoIP over 3G we can now expect this functionality to apper in real iPhone applications. Fring already implemented it. Skype has announced via it's blog that a new version of Skype app for iPhone will support 3G calling:
You may have seen other apps offering calls over 3G, but we’re holding ours back for a little bit longer. Why? So that we can give you the very best audio quality we can. When our 3G-capable Skype for iPhone app is released, it’ll let you make calls in wideband audio, giving you greater clarity and fidelity – because that’s what you expect from Skype.
Watch the video for more details:
Skype for the iPhone has been updated to add landscape mode, performance improvements, and a call quality indicator
With Skype on your iPhone or iPod touch you can call and instant message anyone else on Skype for free. You can also call landlines and mobiles and send SMS anywhere in the world, at great rates.
What's new in version 1.3:
- Landscape mode for IM
- Hints and Tips
- General performance improvements
- Call quality indicator
- Fixed call drop issue when returning to a held Skype call
You can download Skype from the App Store for free (
Fring has added video calling support to the iPhone and iPod touch via Skype. This is a huge step further. iPhone became a videophone!
It works on Fring to Fring, and Skype to Fring. Unfortunately, it's not bi-directional. You would be able to see whoever is calling you from a desktop, but you won't be able to transmit your image. The reason is because the iPhone doesn't have a front camera, so you can't do face to face. The application will support two-way video calling if the iPhone and iPod touch gain front-facing cameras in the future. The company already supports two-way video calling on several Nokia phones with such cameras.
A promotional video highlighting the new video functionality has also been released:
Read the rest of this entry »
We have seen a video from Verizon named iDon't and an ansfer from iPhone fans - the video named iDon't Care. Here's a new one, called iCan. It describes what a jailbreaked iPhone can do:
Here is the list of apps for that:
- Can be customized: using Winterboard
- I can run applications simultaneously: thanks to Backgrounder and Kirikae
- I can always use the tethering: thanks to the tweaks available in Cydia
- I call with Skype on 3G network: using VoiceOver3G or 3GUnrestrictor
- Support an open development: with applications to be released via Cydia
Nice, isn't it?
In less than a week Skype has been updated from from version 1.2 to version 1.2.1. Just couple minor bugfixes. Update is highly recommended.
- Fixed crashing in Dialing and History.
- Fixed erroneous handling of international prefixes.
- Fixed crashing due to special characters in contact names.
Skype, the iPhone and iPod Touch application through which you can call and chat with your Skype contacts, has been updated to version 1.2. There are many updates and new features.
What's new in version 1.2:
- Set up call forwarding from your iPhone – forward Skype calls to a phone number when you're not signed in.
- Improved performance and better audio quality on Skype-to-Skype calls.
- Even easier to send text messages (SMS) - Send SMS from the Call tab.
- Calls are connected much faster.
- Status of your contacts is updated more often.
- You can now decide whether you want to stay online/offline when the iPhone is locked. We've added this into settings.
- Contact groups are now supported, making it easier to see who is online and separate your saved phone numbers.
- You can now edit the name of your saved phone numbers.
- Added support for skype: URL schemes in Safari.
- When creating a new account the country in your Skype profile is taken from the language used on your iPhone.
- Group chat profile pictures are now shown.
- You can now remove your profile picture.
- Added a 'Help' link to 'Forgot your password'.
- Improved support for proxy configurations.
If you have done jailbreak, don't worry. During first launch Skype will pop up a message showing that it works only on unmodified iPhones and iPods. But it is not true. It works just fine.
Skype, the application for iPhone and iPod Touch through which you can call and chat for free with your Skype contacts, has been updated to version 1.1. This is an update adds some small improvements and bug fixes.
What's new in version 1.1
- Support for the following languages: English, German, Dutch, Brazilian Portuguese, Portuguese, Spanish, Norwegian, Russian, Traditional Chinese, Simplified Chinese, Italian, French, Polish and Japanese.
- Send text (SMS) messages using Skype credit.
- Voicemail support.
- Improved dialing help when calling phones.
Skype is avaliable in AppStore for free (
Skype is updated to version 1.0.3. Here is a changelog:
- Fixed crashing when clicking on certain contacts in the contact list.
- Fixed crashing when returning to the contact list after having accepted a contact authorization request in specific cases.
- Improved the handling of international calling prefixes in SkypeOut calling.
You might still see a pop-up (first time launch) saying that the application works only on non-jailbroked devices. I can assure you that it works rather well, without any problems.
Here is a changelog of new iPhone firmware 3.0 beta 3:
- The “Store” entry in Settings App still links to a blank page.
- The keyboard background becomes black in every phone number box. It may be a bug.
- The Skype app gives an error on its first launch.
Greater overall speed.
- Sometimes the SMS sending freezes. It could be caused by the keyboard bug.
- Better integration for Push Notifications APIs.
- Better Audio APIs (probably for A2DP).
- Error correction works better.
- iTunes synchronization now requires less time.
- Youtube app now works on every device.
- The MMS and Tethering old bundle does not work anymore.
- Spotlight saves last seach data.
- Users can assign home screen.
- Parental control.
- Users can disable In-App Purchase.
- Ability to hide the text of a message just received.
Skype is updated to versin 1.0.2. There is a strange message syaing it works on non-Jailbroken devices. In fact, this update is fine with jailbroken iPhones so do not worry.
If your Skype app crashes first read this article. Here is a list of applications from Cydia that might cause the Skype app to crash:
- Rock Extensions
If you have these apps and problems with Skype, uninstall them and wait for release updates for them.
- If Skype crashes when trying to input text: Disable both Clippy (Use SBSettings toggle) and any custom Winterboard sounds relating to the keyboard tick (tock.aiff).
- If Skype crashes within 1 minute of having the app open: Update app called mobile substrate in Cydia. Uninstalling mobile substrate also fixes the problem, but you will lose features such as winterboard and sbsettings.
UPDATE: Many users report that Skype works fine with the latest version of Clippy (0.98-2) without the need to turn the latter off.