News tagged ‘Cydia’
Today DevTeam released an ultrasn0w update that fixes a bug for those who run it on firmware 3.1 and 3.1.2 with the 04.26 baseband. This bug was about a missing carrier name in the upper left-hand corner of your home screen. The update is avaliable in Cydia (repository http://repo666.ultrasn0w.com).
We remind you, that ultrasn0w 0.92 doesn't work with baseband 05.11.07!
[Update]: if your 3G or EDGE connection isn't working try manually clearing and re-entering your APN.
[Update 2]: Carrier logo fix confirmed (by order of tweet):
USA, Thailand, Austria, Trinidad, Germany, China, Kuwait, Serbia, Poland, France, Nigeria, Egypt, Pakistan, Ireland, UK, Turkey, Sweden, Switzerland, Malaysia, Hungary,The Netherlands, Bahamas, Jamaica, India,
Israel, Belgium, Canada, Portugal, Denmark, Costa Rica, Italy, Chile, Argentina, Brazil, Japan, Mexico, Venezuela, UAE.
Geohot has released his BlackSn0w utility. BlackSn0w is an unlock for the iPhone 3G and iPhone 3GS. It supports the latest firmware 3.1 and 3.1.2 with baseband 05.11.07 and enables official tethering. Available for both Windows and Mac.
Here is a quick tutorial:
If you havn't done the jailbreak: go to
If your device is already jailbroken - run Cydia, add repository blackra1n.com and install blacksn0w. That's it!
The latest version of blackra1n is RC3. It now has hacktivation support, 15 second speed improvement, Tiger+PPC support.
PS: If you just bought a new iPhone 3GS or have one that was made recently (approximately after 40th week after iPhone 3GS release): your device has a new BootROM. Unfortunately it is impossible to run regular jailbreak with this new BootROM. There is a sloution - tethered jailbreak. Everything including unlock will work fine. However every time you restart your iPhone, you need to plug it to a computer with blackra1n installed.
We have seen a video from Verizon named iDon't and an ansfer from iPhone fans - the video named iDon't Care. Here's a new one, called iCan. It describes what a jailbreaked iPhone can do:
Here is the list of apps for that:
- Can be customized: using Winterboard
- I can run applications simultaneously: thanks to Backgrounder and Kirikae
- I can always use the tethering: thanks to the tweaks available in Cydia
- I call with Skype on 3G network: using VoiceOver3G or 3GUnrestrictor
- Support an open development: with applications to be released via Cydia
Nice, isn't it?
RingTones is an application that allows users to create ringtones right from the iPhone. Users can use regular mp3's available in the Media Library. Recently RingTones was updated to version 2.89.
Here's a little guide that allows you to enable tethering on the iPhone 3G and iPhone 3GS with firmware 3.1.2. A hack that changes the CommCenter is used. It eliminates the need for a digital signature.
Here is a step-by-step tutorial:
1. First start Cydia and search for "iphone-notes". Install this repository and return to the tab "Search".
2. Now look for "tethering 3G - 3.1.2" or "tethering 3GS - 3.1.2" depending on the model of your device and install the package.
3. Restart the iPhone and then connect to the site www.unlockit.co.nz directly on the iPhone to create a custom APN. Create and install the profile.
After you restart you should see the field "Tethering" in the Settings.
Steven Troughton-Smith has released a new video about the next version of Stack 3.0 which will have a new function, the ability to run the scrolling within the stack. The application is really lightweight and does not need much RAM or battery. The app will be avaliable in Cydia.
Here is a video demonstration:
DevTeam just released PwnageTool 3.1.4. It allows users to jailbreak firmware 3.1.2 on iPhone 2G/3G/3GS and iPod Touch 1G/2G. It also supports OTB iPhone 3GS with firmware 3.1.x. We remind you that if you need unlock, do not update on regular 3.1.x firmware, use Pwnagetool to create custom firmware to preserve old baseband.
Here is a quick howto:
- Factory Unlocked iPhone 3G and iPhone 3GS: You do not need unlock, just use PwnageTool to create an ipsw and then use this to update and jailbreak your phone.
- iPhone 3G and iPhone 3GS: if you need unlock, use PwnageTool to create a custom firmware with an old baseband. Then update using created custom firmware and install ultrasw0w via Cydia to unlock.
- iPhone 2G: Use PwnageTool to do the magic and then restore with iTunes using your newly created .ipsw.The baseband will be unlocked, the phone jailbroken.
- iPod Touch 1G: Use PwnageTool to create a firmware image and restore with that .ipsw using iTunes.
- iPod Touch 2G: You must already be jailbroken in order to use PwnageTool. If so, create a firmware image and restore with that .ipsw using iTunes.
- iPod Touch 3G: No support yet.
You can download PwnageTool 3.1.4 here.
There is only a MAC version of PwnageTool. DevTeam doesn't plan to create Windows version.
Difrnt.com published a tool that might help in the downgrade of firmware 3.1 to 3.0 (or if you’re lucky 3.0.1) using
This tool is ONLY for 3Gs iPhones and is NOT a jailbreak method!
Download 3Gs Downgrade Assistant
iPhone VM is a new tweak available in Cydia that allows to free some iPhone memory by creating a swap file. iPhone VM 2 is providing similar functionality.
Here are the differences between the two: iPhone VM creates a 256MB swap file. While iPhone VM 2 creates a 64MB dynamic swap file that can become bigger if needed.
There are some users who still prefer the old iPhoneVM and others who are better with iPhone VM 2. The installation of iPhone VM 2 provides automatic uninstall for the previous version.
iPhone VM 2 can be installed in Cydia through this repository: http://repo.beyouriphone.com.
iPhone VM is a new tweak available in Cydia that allows to free some iPhone memory by creating a swap file. Keep everything in RAM rather than open apps all the time might increase the performance in terms of speed.
iPhoneVM can be installed in Cydia through this repository: http://repo.beyouriphone.com.
Today MediaPhone announced ‘SmartScreen’ an application for the iPhone and iPod touch that will allow informational widgets to be placed and used on the lock screen. The widgets can be rearranged on the lock screen by using a ‘tap and hold to move’ action that is often used by to iPhone users (when moving icons around the home screen).
It will be avaliable soon in Cydia Store (for money).
The idea to personalize the iPhone is now new. Here is a new concept from Geoff Teehan. He has published a concept which shows a new type of Springboard.
Applications uodate data in real time. Unfortunately Apple does not allow you to change the SpringBoard with the SDK. So the only hope is to find some person who can do it and publish it in Cydia. Here is the full screen:
Action Menu, utility that extends traditional Copy / Paste functionality, is updated to version 1.0.1.
Here is an official changelog:
- No longer allow copying secure text fields
- Add option to disable extended menu support
- Support for launching Birdfeed via the Tweet action
- Remember language in Translate service
- Allow carriage returns in Lookup (for supported services)
- Option to sort Favorites alphabetically
- Translations now work (Italian, German, Japanese, French)
- Additional Support for more apps
- Fix for Facebook crash
- Fix for copying song or album name in iPod app
- Fix biteSMS-button related crashes
- Fix crash when Lookup action is used inside SpringBoard
- Fix Copy All breaking copy in the Photos app
- Fix crash in iTunes password dialog
- Fix for freeze in Fast Notes
- Fix annoying popup on Wifi network/ringtone cells in Preferences
- Revert 1Password to value-only copying
- Prevent Safari freeze when invoking inside a window.prompt (temporary fix)
Action Menu can be installed or updated via Cydia on a jailbreaked iPhone (iPod Touch).
Mobile Substrate has been updated to version 0.9.3043-1. According to Saurik the update; “fixes the issues some extensions (like WinterBoard) are having with the new dyld “shared cache” in iPhone OS 3.1.”. So, if you are on firmware 3.1, WinterBoard should work properly once you update to the new version of Mobile Substrate.
Avaliable in Cydia for jailbreaked iPhones and iPod Touches.
Some users have already performed jailbeak for firmware 3.1 and faced problems with several Cydia applications. Some work with no problems, others send the iPhone to Safe Mode. Here is a list of compatible and non-compatible apps.
Applications NOT compatible with Firmware 3.1:
- Mobile Finder
Applications partially compatible with Firmware 3.1:
- Cydia (apparently does not show the badge icon when there are updates available)
- SBSettings (everything works except the button "Restart")
- BossPrefs (everything works except the button "Respring")